VSM is a 'map' of the activities your organization does, both value added (the customer is willing to pay for) and non-value added (the customer is not willing to pay for), to meet your customers' needs/requirements.
A Value Stream Map depicts the:
- Flow of information and materials from receipt from the supplier to delivery to the customer
- Steps required to transform the inputs to the customer's desired output(s)
- Flow of information which supports and directs the above activities
VSM is a powerful tool in our lean/continuous improvement tool-bag that graphically shows the current flow with all of its waste. Then it shows the future state flow that eliminates waste creating greater 'flow' and reducing the time it takes to produce a product.
Frequently, there are multiple value streams within a company, each of which is related to a specific family of products or services.
There are three modules each of which are 4 hours long.
Module 1: Current Value Stream Mapping
Module 2: Value Stream Mapping Improvement Bursts
Module 3: Future Value Stream Mapping
Learner outcomes for each module:
- Conduct a product family analysis
- Identify a product family for value stream mapping
- Create a current state value stream map
- Analyze a current state VSM for improvement opportunities
- Create a future state map
- Break a VSM into loops
- Identify priorities for the VSM