EnhanceFitness is a low-cost, evidence-based group exercise program that helps older adults at all levels of fitness become more active, energized, and empowered to sustain independent lives.
EnhanceFitness classes are taught in a relaxed atmosphere and lots of laughter. A full hour of fun, EnhanceFitness focuses on dynamic cardiovascular exercise, strength training, balance, and flexibility — everything older adults need to maintain health and function as they age.
More than 99% of participants say they would recommend EnhanceFitness to a friend. The class is proven to:
- Increase strength. People who regularly attend class grow stronger, improve their balance, and become more limber.
- Boost activity levels. Even the unfit quickly find themselves able to do the things they want to do, safely and independently.
- Elevate mood. Research shows that exercise can help prevent depression, and EnhanceFitness participants say they feel better physically and emotionally.
In a typical class, participants will experience:
- A certified instructor with special training in bringing out the physical best from older adults
- A 5-minute warm-up to get the blood flowing to the muscles
- A 20-minute aerobics workout that gets participants moving, or a walking workout to lively music that the class chooses
- A 5-minute cool-down
- A 20-minute strength training workout with soft ankle and wrist weights (0 up to 20 pounds)
- A 10-minute stretching workout to keep the muscles flexible
- Balance exercises throughout the class
- Opportunities for participants to make new friends and acquaintances
Participants may either be amongst peers of their own level of fitness or a group of various fitness levels from the frail to the more fit older adult.
EnhanceFitness classes do not require any special or expensive equipment. A certified instructor, who has completed the EnhanceFitness training, will safely lead the class through an hour of dynamic exercises at a pace that’s right for the participants.